I think that such a law should be put in place. Even though people do know that photos are retouched like Christine
Leiritz (
chief editor of Marie Claire) said, i still think that it does affect many young girls and adult women. Woman may know they are retouched but that doesn't change the fact that the magazines are putting out a nearly impossible image to achieve. I agree that labeling retouched, abnormal images would have a slight affect in reducing anorexia. Labeling could really show woman that these bodies and faces have been altered and also that these picture don't show what is beautiful, or what is common.
The author of photographs in my opinion is the magazine editor. They know what they want to see from the photographer, and they know how they want that picture retouched, and they know which model would fit the role best. Therefore all these people attribute to the lasting result but there wouldn't really be the picture with out the magazine editor.
Smart response, Christine. I'm tempted to agree with you when you write that the author of these ad photographs is the magazine editor. On the NYT site there is a related video near the article we read today, and I think it supports your point. The video presents particular magazine shoot where the photographer shot two different models for the same magazine cover. The editor, not satisfied with either woman, insisted that the retoucher combine features of the two!
ReplyDelete