Thursday, January 7, 2010

Final Photographer: Diane Arbus


I plan on emulating Diane Arbus because, i really like the way she uses black and white pictures with heavy contrast. I believe it makes her seemingly ordinary pictures of people really stand out. Arbus seems to work alone, and takes random people and uses both their eyes and what they are wearing to tell the stories. I want to emulate the picture above. I like the element of mystery, with the mask and not knowing who it is, but also it gives you a hint to that maybe the picture was taken at a masquerade ball. She might of use artificial lighting but when i emulate her i will just use a bright day to create the extreme black and white contrast. Arbus also takes pictures head on and captures the models expression in the moment. I am not sure what Arbus was trying to convey, but with the picture I am going to take, i will be using a classmate (most likely Lacie) , and i will go outside when its a bright day out ( to add contrast).  Diane Arbus photographs people who are characters, and not always in the norm. So my own spin on her photography would using a model who is "normal". Using all of her stylistic ideas but instead of highlighting the people who are in the background, i'll be highlighting the high schoolers, the person basically everyone has been. I might use lacie but i might also use two people in my picture, i'm not 100% sure about the models. 

No comments:

Post a Comment